Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Rant, Reveal, and Recipe of a Merry Mom

Rant: I hate Playdough. I know as a mother of school age children I should be tarred and feathered for saying those words. But it's true. I have never liked it. Before we moved I thought I had thrown all of it out. But apparently there were two unopened cans in our house when the packers packed our stuff. Yesterday The Girl found them as we unpacked the last three boxes (We're done unpacking HOORAY!!!) I n the past I have allow the kids to play with it, but only outside, and afterward they had to shake down and scrub up. These days I can't send them outside because it is blazing hot the minute the sun comes up. I don't like how it smells. I don't like how it crumbles, even when fresh, and gets all over. So I have pretty much banned it from the house. I know, I know I'm mean. That's what I get paid the big bucks for.

Reveal: I am totally loving my new kitchen counters. They are so roomy I could do just about anything on them (Lara, get your head out of the gutter! I am talking about laundry). I no longer have the luxury of an extra room to dump laundry in. Gone are the days of unloading the dryer to the guest bed, shutting the door, and not going back until the troops started to complain that they didn't know where their laundry had gone. Now I bring the clean laundry to my counter top and fold it up. This way, laundry must be dealt with immediately, which may or may not make my laundry woes easier. The good news is that for now, it is all done. (Picture below)

Recipe: Y'all I have a new online addiction, allrecipes.com . I love the feature that allows you to type in the ingredients you have on hand and it will pull up recipes with those items in it.

Last night I found the best recipe for one of my all time favorite kitchen staples (after coffee of course): The Tortilla.

You can see the recipe here. I tweaked it a bit. I used grapes instead of kiwi, and I only added 1 Tbls. Brown sugar to the fruit, instead of all the other stuff because I didn't want it too sweet. I took flour tortillas, cut them into wedges, sprayed them generously with Pam spray and sprinkled them (before baking) with a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Wow!

And something else, because I am feeling particularly chatty today. I often look things up in a thesaurus, so when I write things on this blog that talk about the same thing, I can use new words so you think you are actually reading something different. I was trying to think of a catchy title so I looked up 'housewife' in the online thesaurus. What came up made me laugh!

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/housewife

La Vida Dulce!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Blue Skies said...

I am living vicariously through you. Enjoy that great expanse!! I'm also impressed that you don't have them covered up with kitchen stuff so you actually have room to do something on them. You go girl!!

Anonymous said...

Hey -- ditto to the recipe site. That's where I came up with my recipe for the salad supper -- I searched by ingredient, too. I didn't care what I took as long as it didn't involve going to the grocery store first. So, since I had just opened a can of black olives... I found a good pasta salad that you would absolutely hate due to its slightly white ranch dressing tint :-)
K1
P.S. I'm glad you're feeling merry!

Lara said...

I BEG YOUR PARDON...my head was way too sleepy to be anywhere near a gutter! But I have to add to the thesaurus reference...they forgot...."THE OLD BALL AND CHAIN" :) Too funny