Monday, June 11, 2007

Muffins on Monday



This weekend we participated in what we are calling the New House Tile vs. The Girl.

Unfortunately, The Girl didn't win.

So when she woke up this morning and said that she needed muffins. It was hard to resist. It started on Saturday when she offered to help me mop the floor. AS she pushed the broom forward her feet slipped from underneath her and she fell, really hard, on her bottom.

Yesterday, she fell, even harder, on her face.

She now wears a beautiful black and blue bump the size of a half dollar, right in the middle of her forehead. So this morning when she woke up and was bruised from top to, well, bottom, The Girl needed some of her Mama's muffins.

It's my favorite recipe given to me by my dear friend in the North, meh (that's her incognito/La Vida name until I can find something catchy). It's her French Puff recipe. They are good for what ails you.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Lara said...

I was wondering what kind of mop you would get with all the new tile...let me know how it goes :)

Anonymous said...

I have to give credit where credit is due. The muffin recipe originally came from Carolyn Boyd, which I got from her Easter 2001 when our family stayed with them because we were still commuting from Frisco to Ft Worth. She served these for breakfast and we thought (and still do) they were delicious. Amazing how simple muffins can create such a special memory! Like oreo/white choc. truffles!!! Hey! Can you send your maid up north? I am needing some mopping done and she looks pretty handy!

Blue Skies said...

So I'm all in anticipation while reading your blog about getting a new, wonderful recipe. I am quite disappointed to have reached the end of the post and no recipe in sight. Please share!!

I also highly recommend the Vileda Pro-Twist mop with the red handle and blue "rope-style" head. It wrings out very easily (don't have to touch it!) so you don't have to wait so long for the floor to dry. And the head doesn't get tangled. Half our house is tile. I think I've been through every mop style I could find. At least your tile isn't white. You can get away with mopping it a little less often!

Lara said...

I can't get past the feeling that I'm just mixing the dirt with water and pushing it around...and you know what a dirt freak I am HA

Unknown said...

Well, since meh has confessed to this not being an "meh secret recipe" I will share. She actually has recipes that she can't tell you about because she would have to kill you...which wouldn't be too bad as long as she let you eat some of it first....that Coconut Pound Cake is worth it.
~ka___________

meh's French Puff's

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix together:
2/3 cups cooking oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs

Stir in alternately with 1 cup milk:

3 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg

After baking (in small muffin tins), dip into melted butter and roll in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. (I use about 1/2 cup sugar to 2 tsp cinnamon but you might like more or less)

Bake 8-10 minutes.

I usually do these in mini muffin tins, but it takes more time because I have to do them in batches. When I need to be done quicker I just use regular muffin tins lined with foil cupcake tins, the recipe makes about 18 regular size muffins (but they need 4-5 more minutes in the oven). Then instead of dipping the whole muffin in butter/cinnamon/sugar, I just dip the tops.

These freeze well and are even better the second day!

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the run in with the floor! Poor baby : ( Hope the muffins made it all better.

NC Mama

Unknown said...

NC Mama,

So glad you learned to comment! What fun!

K4